Chilled Watermelon Soup with Grilled Shrimp Skewer
Just a whirl in the blender of fresh watermelon with a hint of lime, and the soup is finished. The garnish is a Greek-based salsa of sorts with cucumber, olives, feta and fresh herbs. Try it on its own as a first course or brunch starter, or grill a skewer of lamb to accompany.
7 cups seedless red watermelon cut into large chunks
4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
Salt, to taste
1/2 small to medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into very small dice
1/2 cup kalamata or green olives, pitted and chopped
1/4 red onion, cut into very small dice
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh basil, slivered
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (Valbresso sheep’s milk feta is great here)
- Save one cup of the watermelon and cut into small dice. Set aside. Combine the other 6 cups of watermelon and 3 tablespoons lime juice in a blender and blend until smooth.
- In a bowl, combine the watermelon, cucumber, olives, red onion, remaining 1 tablespoon of lime juice and olive oil. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Just before serving, ladle the watermelon soup into bowls. Gently place a generous spoonful of topping on top. Add a sprinkling of herbs and a bit of cheese to each bowl.
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
1/2 pound small to medium shrimp, peeled leaving the tails on and deveined
Salt and pepper
Skewers, soaked in water
- Heat an indoor grill, grilltop or outside grill. In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, parsley and chives. Add the shrimp and season with salt and pepper.
- Skewer the shrimp, 3 to a skewer. Grill about 2 minutes per side. Serve immediately.